Disputing Your Property Taxes

Your home is a huge investment but it can cost less as well if you can. You may now wonder if you can dispute your property taxes. Now the good news is that you can.

A property tax is a levy on property that an owner of a house is required to pay. The tax is levied by the governing authority of the jurisdiction in which the property is located. This may be paid to a national government, a federated state, a county or geographical region, or a municipality.


The tax assessment is a tool local governments use to exact a property tax rate on residents. The local government determines your home"s worth by reassessing the homes in your area you live in periodically and some areas reassess every 2 to 3 years.

A property tax is based on relative value – homes in the area, and specifics like your home"s size, condition, features, defects, and more. Below are the different basis for challenging an assessment.

Assessor"s mistake

The first thing that you need to do is to look for a challenge to your property tax assessment is in the basics. The house should be properly characterized according to number of rooms, bathrooms, lot size, etc. It can be that the numbers given are wrong and you are asked to pay for a bigger or better home.

With this, you need to calculate everything. Make sure to calculate all the number correctly. Review the regulations to make sure that you are being taxed at an applicable rate for your area and property type. Never assume that all documents are correct. There are a lot of areas that an error can occur. Have some time to review and you can find that your challenge is a simple matter.



Value judgments

You may also ask an assessor to lower your property tax valuation by basing on the flaws of the property but make sure to consider carefully before telling that your place is a mess.

Property tax assessments are public documents so if your tax is way off-base then there is a possible mistake that was made. There are some places that allow for tax deferrals if you are having difficulty paying them. However, rules differ from one state to another.

Ask for an assistance

If you are not sure of what you are doing and you are having the difficulty reviewing all the documents then you can ask for an assistance. You can contact a licensed attorney that specialize in handling property taxes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *